“A man-cub becomes a man, and man is forbidden!”
What’s it about?
A man-cub, found by a black panther and raised by a pack of wolves, is forced to return to his kind after a mean tiger refuses to share the jungle with him any longer.
Who’s in it?
Neel Sethi as a juvenile arsonist and the voices of Ben Kingsley, Bill Murray, Idris Elba, Lupita Nyong’o, Scarlett Johansson, and Christopher Walken.
Why should I watch it?
+ First of all, the visuals are INCREDIBLE, I can see why Mowgli doesn’t want to leave
+ The kid does a great job, considering he’s basically acting by himself surrounded by green screen
+ Everyone nails the voice acting
+ Emotions feels real and you forget that you’re watching talking animals, especially Raksha
+ Kingsley plays the wise guardian well and Murray was hilarious as a nonchalant bear
+ Shere Khan has an intimidating and powerful presence about him
+ And he’s got a degree in reverse psychology apparently
+ If you’re scared of snakes, Kaa will freak you out! (For about 7 mins)
+ Wondering how they would deal with the musical side and they pull it off (mostly)
+ As an avid watcher of nature documentaries, the animal fights are pretty realistic
+ Makes fun of animal behaviours
+ Almost has an arms race vibe for the power of the red flower
+ Teaches kids not to play with fire
Why shouldn’t I watch it?
– The kid’s delivery in some scenes are a bit touch-and-go
– For an apex predator, Shere Khan is pretty lazy
– I mean, do you even hunt bro?
– I Wanna Be Like You song was more out of place than a Mexican guy at a Trump rally
– Trust in Me would’ve been a better fit, with the whole hypnotism and stuff
– But I guess that would’ve ruined the “I haven’t heard a song” angle
– Also, big lovers of the original animated version might have problems with the ending
A lot of fun for the whole family and one of those times where it’s actually better to watch in 3D. I am completely on board with more live action remakes of Disney movies. I would love to see my personal favourites, Aladdin and The Lion King. Scarlett Johansson as Aladdin, anyone? 🌚 (This moon face totally looks sarcastic right?)
You might also like:
Life of Pi